Reading Jubilee Events – Local Treasures On Display
THE QUEEN’S connections with Royal Berkshire are highlighted in a new exhibition by the Berkshire Record Office, celebrating her reign and longstanding association with the county.
‘Happy and Glorious’ opens to the public from Thursday 26 May. Highlights from the exhibition display include:
- Local photographs of the 1953 Queen’s Coronation celebrations, such as the decorations around Jackson’s Corner in the town centre,
- Souvenirs, such as tickets, a programme and a napkin from the 1953 Coronation Carnival in Newbury,
- Photographs of the 1977 Jubilee celebrations in Bisham, which included a parade with fancy dress, sporting activities at the Town Farm and tree planting,
- The winning competition design for a monument to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee,
- Examples of ‘The Queen’s Green Canopy’ tree planting taking place this year for the Platinum Jubilee,
- Prints on display demonstrating the variety of official events the Queen has attended in Berkshire.
Mark Stevens, County Archivist, said: “The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee is a great and unique event. Berkshire has been host to many royal occasions over the past 70 years and it is a pleasure to highlight some of these – and, in doing so, to honour Her Majesty’s longstanding connection to our Royal County.”
Cllr Karen Rowland, Reading’s Lead Councillor for Culture, said: “As we all come together to celebrate the Queen’s lifetime of service as part of her Platinum Jubilee, I’m delighted by the wide range of wonderful events and activities we are hosting in Reading. I’m really pleased Berkshire Record Office has added to the Jubilee offer with their fabulous new royal-themed exhibition ‘Happy and Glorious’ and I encourage everyone to come along to check out their fascinating displays – or visit the BRO website to find out more.”
This free exhibition is on from Thursday 26 May to Friday 26 August, Tuesday-Thursday, 9am-5pm; Friday 9am-4.30pm. Find out more at https://whatsonreading.com/venues/berkshire-record-office/whats-on/happy-and-glorious or visit the BRO website at Web: www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk For the many other Jubilee events and activities on offer visit: www.reading.gov.uk/news/reading-hosts-four-day-jubilee-extravaganza-in-june